GEO Blue Planet is organizing a supplemental issue for the Journal of Operational Oceanography titled “Ocean Observing for Societal Benefit”. This supplemental issue will focus on end-to-end case studies of ocean observations being used to benefit various sectors of society.
This supplemental issue will focus on end-to-end case studies of ocean observations being used to benefit various sectors of society. Submissions may include, but are not limited to:
- Coastal Communities
- Ocean observations for the safety of coastal communities from natural disasters.
- Ocean observations for resilient community development and sustainment.
- Ocean observations in support of coastal recreational activities.
- Health Ecosystems and Food Security
- Ocean observations for use in the management of fisheries activities
- Ocean observations for use in aquaculture planning and management.
- Ocean observations for use in management of marine and coastal ecosystems.
- The Blue Economy
- Ocean observations for use in the tourism industry.
- Ocean observations for use in the energy industry.
- Ocean observations for use in the insurance/re-insurance industry.
- Maritime Awareness
- Ocean observations for detecting and managing oil spills.
- Ocean observations for use in maritime safety.
- Ocean observations for use in marine transportation.
We seek contributions on these topics and encourage submissions by interdisciplinary teams (e.g. natural scientists, economists, social scientists, etc.). To have a paper considered for publication in this supplemental issue, please submit an abstract (maximum length of 250 words) by clicking here by October 15, 2017. Abstracts submitted after this date will not be considered. If your abstract is selected you will be notified by e-mail according to the time schedule listed below.
Additional instructions for manuscript submission can be found here.
Abstract submission deadline: October 15, 2017
Authors notified of abstract acceptance: November 30, 2017
Manuscript submission deadline: February 28, 2018
Authors notified of outcomes of review: April 30, 2018
Revised manuscript submission deadline: June 30, 2018
Authors notified of outcomes of any additional review (if required): July 15, 2018
Final submission deadline: August 15, 2018
The Blue Planet Steering Committee will also be organizing teams for the publication of introductory papers on existing activities and future directions of activities related to:
- Ocean observing data integration and informatics
- Development of ocean observation information services
- Engagement with ocean observation data and information service users
- Capacity Building and Advocacy in support of ocean observations
If you are interested in contributing to an introductory paper, please send an expression of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 15, 2017.